To counter the anti corruption campaign and gaining more control over privacy, or simply to have a pad to entertain, many entrepreneurs have set up their own clubs/mini hotels, large and small, as early as decades ago. This one in Hefei and this in Zhuhai.
Recently my friend set one up in Beijing. The CCTV anchor Bi Fujian‘s unfortunate dinner singing in April 2015 might have been the big push. The duplex is in a Haidian’s residential community. The lower level for dining and the two bedrooms on the top floor. My friend says that when there’s important guest coming, all cell phones would be collected into a basket where my friend can see, just to make sure.
As funny as it may sound, each country/region defines its freedom differently.
Finally, I’ve my wish come true, partially: going to a bathhouse after a tiring trip, in Beijing.
Not much have changed at Yihai since 2011. The staff is courteous, bowing 90 degrees whenever they see you, which makes me feel a little too humble ad docile. Decent food with wide selections. The only addition is a kiddies playing area. The scrubbing cost ¥188 for 30 minutes. The girl is from Anhui, bubbly and pleasant. When I asked her how many customers she routinely services, she says about 4 (I found this to be surprisingly low); and how long her day is, she replies with rather hardened voice, “12 hours”.
When Yihai initially opened, they offered double bonus: paying up ¥10,000 get additional 10,000 match and buying ¥50k, get additional ¥75k in the account. ¥125,000 covers a lot of baths.
I would have liked to sleep over there but my friend just won’t hear any of it.
Maybe it’s good to have a wish? To bath and sleep at a bath house. 澡堂 和 洗浴中心 是不同的: 前者是旧 后者为新式 有餐饮 高大上.
The entertainment on Cathay is pretty good, choose at your own pace and taste. They serve evian water, good food, plenty healthy snacks, Bailey’s among other drinks. The staff is gracious. I get upgraded on both long hauls.
Arriving by ferry from Zhuhai. The HK$120 tax refund on ¥290 ferry ticket.
A little episode on the HKG-JFK leg (CX846) which is flow by a girl captain. Story here
There isn’t any info on this wine. I wonder if this is a crappy wine that markets only to China, to the rather an uneducated customers. Let’s start from the labels 让我们从标签开始. The French:
- Enclos Tonelle Doré – name of the vineyard?
- 2010 (the red seal has 2012/06/28)
- Pays D’Oc: country wine from the Languedoc-Roussillon area in Mediterranean France
- Indication Géographique Protégée: Protected Geographical Indication 受保护的地理标志
- Mis en bouleille pour Frait D’union par les Celliers Saint Léger a 33540 Gironde – France
中文标签 The Chinese
- 图尔 珍藏干红
- 产区: 道克
- 葡萄种类: 美乐
- 灌装日期: 2012年 6月 28日
- 制造商: Trait D’union SAS France – no info
- 中国总代理: 北京艾维浓贸易有限公司. 北京朝阳区望京西路48号3号楼606室 010-84780269
- 由法国装瓶 原瓶进口
To the left of Chinese label, there is a little emblem Avignon, which is a commune in south-eastern France (wiki). This region is on the Rhône river, produces numerous wines, except Merlot.
French wine grades – taxonomy:
- AOC (Appellation d’origine contrôlée)
- AOVDQS (Appellation d’Origine Vin De Qualité Supérieure)
- Vin de pays: country wine – There are six regional Vins de Pays:
- Vin de Pays d’Oc: the largest, from the Languedoc-Roussillon area in Mediterranean France.
- Vin de Pays de la Loire: a designation that applies to wines from the whole Loire Valley.
- Vin de Pays du Comté Tolosan (south-west),
- Vin de Pays de Méditerranée (south-east, Provence and Corsica)
- Vin de Pays des Comtés Rhodaniens (Rhone valley)
- Vin de table: the table wine
So, after studying the labels, I got to nowhere. I think the most telling part is, Avignon doesn’t cultivate Merlot. During this 2016 trip, the table wine in China is still rather raw and expensive.
PS: tried, it tastes like garbage’s garbage.