Tennis in China
This China trip is pretty exciting. Aside from attending two tennis tourneys (missed Zhuhai WTA in November); two classical concerts and a play; new friends and relatives; plenty hairy/mitten crabs; five new cities. Ah, also two adventures, of which one results to the emergency room. Buckle up and enjoy my three weeks’ journey.
As usual, I take Cathay Pacific from JFK to Beijing; Shanghai to HKG and HKG back to JFK. They upgrade me on both long hauls which is, needless to say, very nice indeed. A little episode on the HKG-JFK leg.
Landing in Beijing on the following evening, unseasonably warm with unhealthy air quality. Half my dream come true: to visit a bathhouse. My dear friend won’t let me to sleep there. Hmmmm … I’ll have to try it next time.
The first full day in Beijing, visiting relatives as well as my mom’s dear friends. Lunch at the newest Dadong, which is to open a post in New York this autumn, next to the Library. A private dinner and the China Open.
Day two in Beijing, we visit the Cuandixia 爨底下村, a Ming dynasty village, 62 miles/100 km west of Beijing; lunch in a local home 农家饭 there; dinner at 99Dingzhanfang and then off to Taiyuan, Shanxi from the West Station.
Some thing small but make big impression:
My itinerary by day:
- 2 Sun, JFK 10am-2pm, CX841 & HKG – BJ KA902 15:00-18:20
- 3 Mon, Beijing, Yihai
- 4 Tue, visit family/friends; Dadong; private diner; China Open
- 5 Wed, 爨底下村; 99; West Station; Taiyuan @ Shanxi
- 6 Thur, Eden & swimming; hotpot lunch; Old City, dinner
- 7 Fri, 剔尖 specialty
- 8 Sat, Pingyao, dinner
- 9 Sun, Xi’an 西安 N, terracotta army & jade; bath; an adventure & concert
- 10 Mon, Taiyuan-Zhengzhou; Jinjiang
- 11 Tue, Yellow River
- 12 Wed 徐州, breakfasts; Kuangda, Hubushang, dinner @ Laomofang
- 13 Thur terracotta of Han; Xuzhou E to Shanghai; 樱桃园
- 14 Fri, tennis; how the drinks are made
- 15 Sat, SAS; jewelry show; Mutter @ OAC 东方艺术中心
- 16 Sun, yoga; volleyball @ SAS; brunch; missing it again
- 17 Mon, meeting; Yuanyuan; qipao; Chenglonghang
- 18 Tue; icbc; a bakery; Wuzhen
- 19 Wed, Shanghai to Macau KA831, 8:40-11:20, to Macau/Zhuhai
- 20 Thur, Chimelong Ocean Kingdom + circus
- 21 Fri, typhoon; sun rise and set
- 22 Sat, Zhongshan, farmer’s lunch; Qi’Ao 淇奥湿地
- 23 Sun, Macau
- 24 Mon, sunrise; Jiuzhou to HKG CX846, 6:45pm/JFK 10:40pm; a complainer